Kosharnaya Galina Borisovna, Doctor of sociological sciences, professor, head of sub-department of sociology and human resource management, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Dmitriev Roman Vyacheslavovich, Postgraduate student, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The research object is entrepreneurship – activities focused on systematic profit earning from production and selling of goods, rendering services. The research goal is to reveal the role of ethics of Protestantism and the Old Belief in development of skills necessary for entrepreneurial activities.
Materials and methods. Based on the analysis of works by German sociologists M. Weber and W. Sombart devoted to Protestantism, as well as works by contemporary researchers of the Old Belief V. Makarov, V. Timofeev and others, the authors have revealed common and special features of the confessions under investigation that have formed the base of the entrepreneurial “spirit of capitalism”.
Results. The research results show that followers of Protestantism and the Old Belief distinguished themselves from representatives of other confessions by religiousness, the ascetic way of life and education that encouraged development of their special approach to labor, entrepreneurial activities. However, despite the community of views of western reformers and Russian dissenters regarding labor activities, it has been established that the labor ethics of the Old Belief used to have its peculiarities associated with the Russian mentality.
Conclusions. The appearance of the “spirit of capitalism” on the basis of Protestantism and the Old Belief promoted a significant increase of entrepreneurial activeties. It was representatives of the said communities who were more inclined to the “capitalistic spirit” development unlike other peoples and followers of other religions.
Protestantism, the Old Belief, business ethics, spirit of capitalism, entrepreneurial activities
1. Kornilov I. P. Protestantizm v Tatarstane: osnovnye etapy i osobennosti razvitiya: XVIII v. – 80-e gg. XX v.: dis. kand. ist. nauk: 09.00.13 [Protestantism in Tatarstan: main development stages and features: XVIII century – 1980s: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of historical sciences]. Moscow, 2003, 173 p.
2. Veber M. Izbrannye proizvedeniya [Selected works]. Moscow, 1990.
3. Makarov V. A. Trudovaya etika protestantizma i sovremennoe predprinimatel'stvo v SShA: dis. kand. filos. nauk [Labor ethics of Protestantism and modern entrepreneurship in USA: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of philosophy]. Chita, 2013, 216 p. 4. Pisemskiy V. A., Kalashnov Yu. N. Iz istorii ekonomicheskoy mysli i narodnogo khozyaystva Rossii [From the history of economic thought and national economy of Russia]. Moscow, 1993, iss. 1, part 2, pp. 343–350.
5. Gloveli G. Voprosy ekonomiki [Economic problems]. 1993, no. 8.
6. Sobolevskaya A. Voprosy ekonomiki [Economic problems]. 1995, no. 8, pp. 88–96.
7. Timofeev V. V. Russkie staroobryadtsy v XVIII–XX vv: opyt predprinimatel'skoy deyatel'nosti i obshchestvennogo sluzheniya v Rossii i za rubezhom [Russian followers of the Old Belief in XVIII–XX centuries: the experience of entrepreneurial activities and public service in Russia and abroad]. 2nd ed. Moscow; Cheboksary, 2006, 388 p.
8. Zombart V. Burzhua: per. s nem. [Bourgeois: translation from German]. In-t sotsiologii. Moscow: Nauka, 1994, 443 p.
9. Americans’ Religious Values. Available at: http://www.pewforum.org/2012/06/07/ameri cans-religious-values/
10. Marty M. Martin Luther. New York: Viking Penguin, 2004, 261 p.
11. Calvin J. Commentaries on the Four Last Books of Moses arranged in the Form of a Harmony. Vol. I–IV. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1948, 1462 p.
12. Arkhipova E. A. Staroobryadcheskoe predprinimatel'stvo v rossiyskoy istoriografii serediny XIX – nachala XXI v.: dis. kand. ist. nauk [Entrepreseurship of the Old Belief followers in Russian historiography in the middle of XIX – early XXI centuries: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of historical sciences]. Moscow, 2013, 343 p.
13. Koval' T. B. Lichnost' i sobstvennost' v khristianstve: Pravoslavie. Katolitsizm. Protestantizm. Sravnitel'nyy analiz: dis. d-ra ist. nauk [The personality and property in Christianity: Orthodoxy. Catholicism. Protestantism. A comparative analysis: dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of historical sciences]. Moscow, 2009, 458 p.